eMail

A post about email is long overdue.

Check out the guide below. Even though we use email every day there are small changes we can make to improve our use of this vital communication tool.

1. Use Their Name
Cows who are named give more milk. As living beings, we are wired to respond positively to our names. (Maybe with the exception of our full names for those of us whose Mums only used it when we were in trouble.)

Use the name of the person sending you the email. While you can have certain things that you repeat in common emails, typing their name means that you’re paying attention and it matters.

Better communication equals better relationships - Do you know people who are struggling to get along and send each other terse emails? You might need to help them start communicating face to face – their negative views of one another might be making a big deal about things that weren’t meant that way.
_________________________________________________________________________________

2. Emote in Your Open
Emoting is showing emotion. Emote at the opening so your recipient knows you really do care. Here are some of my favourites:

  • Thank you!
  • You’re right!
  • I’m really sorry ___ happened to you.
  • Thanks for sharing your idea.
  • I know this is really frustrating for you – let’s get this solved.
  • Definitely strange! (I use this when something has happened that I’ve never seen before that will take me time to research.)
  • Awesome! (If they’re telling me something good.)


_________________________________________________________________________________

3. Repeat and Relate to Requests
If they are asking for something, repeat their idea. Then try to relate to it.

So, for example, in my role as IT director a teacher contacted me upset that wifi wasn’t working properly in the back of her room. I started off by acknowledging how frustrating it is and my own personal experience with wifi struggles. Then, we move on to tackle the problem.

Repeating makes sure you understand their point. Relating helps them know you empathise and also helps you consciously empathise in your own mind so you remember what it feels like to have this problem.

_________________________________________________________________________________

4. See Your Email Their Way
Read How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie to master this one. Always frame your email in terms of what THEY feel and THEY think. It sounds harsh, but typically, when having a problem, they can care less about YOUR inconvenience or your struggle. So, I’m not saying give into every single request and stop what you’re doing. Just reread to see where you’re using “I” too much and where you can use “we.”

_________________________________________________________________________________

5. Short but Not Snippy
Take out the word “but” and put a period to shorten sentences. Use shorter sentences. Add white space. If it is too long, many won’t read.

I remember getting weekly update emails from a teacher that were 12 printed pages. WHAT?

Others are so short there is no room to emote or have follow up. These can come off as rude.

Brevity is a challenge for me. Write and reduce until the essentials are included.

_________________________________________________________________________________

6 – Use Power Phrases
Here are some phrases I like. I’ve laminated a page with them so I can pull them out in the stress of the day and use them.

  • Thanks for being open and honest about your experience so we can learn from it.
  • I know this is a huge disruption to your day and I’m working to get this fixed.
  • I’d love to help you with this.
  • I can fix this for you.
  • Let me look into this for you.
  • I’ll keep you updated.
  • You’re right, we could definitely do this better.
  • Can you try ….
  • If it’s still a no go, can you… That will help me ….
  • I know this might sound scary but I’ll walk you through it. Here’s the steps:
  • I’m so sorry you’re not finding ___ helpful. What do you like and not like about it? I’ll be more than happy to see how we can help you?


_________________________________________________________________________________

7 – End Well
End with a personal message or an uplift. Always end on a positive note about working together or what they can expect.

  • Awesome! Glad we got it fixed!
  • If that doesn’t work or you have more questions, just let me know and I’ll be happy to help!
  • If you have any other questions, please reply to this email. Does this help you?
  • Have a fantastic ___. (Friday, weekend, trip, vacation – or anything personal that will relate us as human beings not just human doings.)
  • And remember, I’m always an email away if you need help.
  • Does this help you?
  • Did that answer your question? And does it make sense?
  • Anything else I can help you with today?
  • If this isn’t resolved to your satisfaction by ___ let’s talk then, OK?


_________________________________________________________________________________

While this is not comprehensive, it is meant to start conversations about how to respond to email. Every email is a chance to leave parents, colleagues, and community members with a wildly positive impression.

When you answer consider these tips and remember this — spammers and junk mailers might not deserve one but sometimes it is hard to tell. If in doubt, crank it out.

You can do this! Remember that awesome relationships are built upon awesome communications. Be an awesome communicator – it will help your career more than you can fathom!

From the site http://www.coolcatteacher.com/email-etiquette/