Flipped test review

It seems so obvious now. For many years my students have done tests or exams, I mark them and return them. I am hoping the students want to know where they went wrong and find out how to correct those mistakes.

They don't (mostly). Most of the time I get this:



They want to know what they got and how to convert that mark to a percentage.

So I go through the answers so students can have that "Oh THAT is how you do it, NOW I see!" moments. Typically, though, they are not focused at all as most of the time I am going through questions they got right. If they did really badly they are depressed about that and don't listen at all. If they got 90% then this is all a waste of time.

Enter flipped test review.

Last night I marked the tests, but also made a video of me doing the test review. I had previously done the answers so it only took a surprising 10 minutes to go through a 50 minute test, pointing out the common mistakes etc. I post that video on our class LMS and tell them to only look at the questions they got wrong. They then reflect on their result and figure out what they need to do to get better. What a difference. Like the Flipped model in general, I have effectively cloned myself 20 times as my students can work through answers they want to and watch them as many times as they need to. Here is the class doing just that:


A simple but powerful idea.